Tuesday, February 19, 2013

What's this all about?


  Hey everyone. My name is Ally. I've been alive for quite a while now and I've lived through many experiences both good and bad. I have found over the years that no matter what I am dealing with, I can always count on a good book to distract me from reality. If times are great, everything is going well at school, my family is happy, I can hole up with a book and really enjoy the entertainment value that it provides. When things aren’t as peachy keen as they could be, books allow me to escape these harsh times, absorb myself in their pages and become part of the story. Ever since I was little, I knew that I wanted to give others what many great authors have given me. I decided that one day, I would write a book that could influence me as I had been influenced so greatly.

The current experience in my life has allowed me to begin this project, not just for me, but for others as well. This blog will bring you through my journey as an author, the high points, the low, the ones that want to make me rip my hair out. I hope that through this blog, you will be inspired, not just to read my book, but also to write your own story. Writing a book, or even reading one for that matter has helped me find myself and it is my greatest hope that through this blog, I will be able to help you find yours.

The saying goes that one should not judge a book by its cover, and I am a steadfast believer in this philosophy. Instead, one should give the book a chance, read the beginning. If it speaks to them they should continue on and read the entire story. As an author, this personal belief has shown me the value of the first few chapters. They are what hooks readers, reeling them in and selling copies. Even if the rest of your story is comparable to the work of Edgar Allen Poe, if the beginning isn’t interesting than it will not be successful. For the next seven weeks, I will begin the process of writing a novel. At the end of this time period, I hope to have the first 3 to four chapters of my novel complete as to me this is what can make or break a story.  Along with these chapters I will have a detailed timeline and story map. In addition, I will mock up a cover for my book that comes with a short 250 word summary/ hook on the back. 
Seven weeks is a long period of time, and in order to stay on track, I will keep a list of small goals that must be completed in order to write a book. 
I will have to...
  • Create character profiles on the main/recurring characters 
  • Decide what genre the book will be
  • Decide on the style of the book, chapters, sections, etc.
  • Create a detailed story map with all aspects of the story, setting, plot, etc.
  • Title the story and design a cover 
  • Write and revise chapter 1
  • (Repeat with chapter 2)
  • (And, SURPRISE, chapter 3 as well!
  • Have several others revise the chapters
  • Edit the chapters one more time and create the final product.

Along the way, I will most likely run into some problems. I may suffer a creative block, or become unsure of what to do next. I believe that by reading published works on the art of story writing, creativity, and overall success in the writing world, I will be able to solve any issues I come across. Each aspect of my story will be improved with these readings, plot, setting, and character development. I will also look at blog posts and interviews of successful authors to see what they have done that I can do as well.

When I have completed this seven week process, I will know everything about my story. After all, it is all in my imagination, each aspect my own. Doing so will make writing the rest of the novel much easier for myself, and hopefully, I will be able to turn what was once a dream into a reality. It is my hope that I can help you as readers of my blog to one day write your own story, or follow your dreams in the ways that I have begun to do so. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Ally, I think that it is cool how reading since you were younger, has inspired you to write your own book. I have learned from reading books that if the beginning of a book is not good, the readers will not get hooked like you have said. It is the same way with our papers in Mr. Perlman's class. I can't wait to read your book and I hope you enjoy writing your book!

    ReplyDelete